Senior user researcher
About the role
Storm ID is an award-winning digital transformation consultancy, with clients that span a wide range of industries and sectors, including public sector, financial services, healthcare and early-stage start-ups.
Our services are driven by data and inspired by insight. As a digital consultancy we identify opportunities to make the most of digital transformation. This can include design strategy consultancy, user experience, design and development, content, cloud services and digital marketing.
In a world that relies on digital innovation, Storm is helping clients transform processes and experience, re-imagine legacy business models and even entire companies.
As a Senior user researcher at Storm, you'll be part of our creative team. You'll conduct user research and testing, working collaboratively within our project teams and the user centred design team to ensure user needs are core to what we do.
You have extensive experience designing and carrying out user research and testing, using a variety of methods that best suit any given project. You have a solid understanding of accessibility standards and government digital service standards.
You will ideally have digital agency and/or consultancy experience and have worked on public sector projects including large digital transformation programmes. If you have worked on projects that have gone thought government service standard assessments, even better.
You'll also need to be:
- enthusiastic and motivated, with an appetite for learning
- a great communicator and collaborator
- unafraid to ask questions
- adept at solving problems
- organised and good at prioritising work
- focused, with sharp attention to detail
- passionate about improving outcomes for clients and their users
- be self driven and look for opportunities to add value to the role
What you'll do
You'll have a pretty impressive and varied set of responsibilities. Here are some examples to give you a flavour of what you'll do:
- develop user research plans tot suit the requirements of individual projects
- undertake qualitative research and analysis, including user interviews, focus groups and ethnographic research
- undertake admin related user researcher activities such as organise recruitment of research participants
- plan and facilitate co-design sessions and workshops
- conduct usability and accessibility test sessions
- communicate your ideas verbally and visually
- juggle multiple projects and adapt to changing priorities and tight schedules
- support colleagues' understanding of user centred design by working collaboratively and transparently
- promote the value of user centred design to clients and stakeholders
- contribute to project proposals by providing advice on user-centred design best practice
- maintain a high awareness of user experience best practice and trends
- maintain an awareness of accessibility legislation and keep up to date with the additions to WCAG criteria
- support and mentor colleagues
From day one
At least 33 days' holiday
You'll get 29 days' annual leave and 4 public holidays. Once you've worked here for 5 years, you'll get an extra day for every year you work up to 10 years. So you could end up with 38 days' holiday.
After 3 months
Holiday purchase scheme
We value a healthy work-life balance so we offer a holiday purchase scheme. This means you can buy up to 5 extra days of annual leave a year.
At Storm we use computers a lot for our work, so you'll be entitled to free eye tests and help with the cost of glasses if you need them.
We'll automatically enrol you in our workplace pension scheme so we can start saving together.
You'll get 12 days a year to explore and develop your own ideas. This is an opportunity to innovate, experiment and collaborate outside of mainstream projects.
Digital changes fast. That's why, wherever possible, we provide financial support for you to undertake relevant qualifications or training programmes.
After 1 year
Cycle to work scheme
We've partnered with the Edinburgh Bicycle Co-op to offer you the cycle to work scheme. To keep you fresh and your bike secure, we have a shower and bike parking at the office.
Performance related reward scheme
Our performance related reward scheme means that, assuming you've performed well, we'll give you an annual share of the profits via a one-off reward payment.
Private health insurance
Your health should always come first. That's why, as well as free fruit and massages, we offer you private health insurance.
At Storm we believe in equal opportunities.
We know that a diverse workforce brings with it diverse ways of thinking, fresh perspectives, and new approaches to solving problems — benefitting our employees and our clients. Storm is proud to be an equal opportunities employer and we welcome applications from everyone.