Front end developer
- Front-end development
About the role
Storm ID is an award-winning digital transformation consultancy, with clients spanning the public sector, healthcare, financial services and early stage start-ups.
In a world that's more reliant than ever on digital, we help our clients transform processes and experiences, re-imagine their business models and even entire companies.
As a front end developer at Storm you'll work collaboratively within our diverse project teams across a broad remit of projects. You'll build prototypes and production UIs on greenfield projects using the best modern web technologies, add features and optimise UIs on existing projects under support, and help maintain our tooling and open source code.
You'll also need to be:
- smart, with have an appetite to learn the craft of front end development
- enthusiastic and motivated
- a great communicator, enjoying collaboration and asking questions
- an open-minded and creative individual
- organised and good at prioritising work
- focused, with sharp attention to detail
What you'll do
You'll have a range of responsibilities and opportunities to learn. Here are some examples to give you a flavour of what you'll do:
- work with the other members of a project team to define features and functionality for our clients' applications.
- participate in agile development workflows
- undertake rapid prototyping to support discovery and design
- develop accessible user interfaces in semantic, standards-compliant HTML5
- write responsive, well-structured CSS
- use and evolve our NodeJS-based UI toolchain
- participate in our in-house (second line) support of applications you and others have built
- integrate UI into a variety of backend systems
- optimise UI performance and accessibility
- ensure cross-browser support, progressive enhancement and graceful degradation
- maintain awareness of front end issues and trends, and contribute ideas on improving front end development approaches and methodologies
Storm staff are working fully remotely for the moment in accordance with Scottish Government advice. You will be provided with a laptop and any other tools you need to enable you to interact with clients and colleagues. You'll be supported by an active and engaged Storm community on Slack and Teams.
From day one
At least 33 days' holiday
You'll get 29 days' annual leave and 4 public holidays. Once you've worked here for 5 years, you'll get an extra day for every year you work up to 10 years. So you could end up with 38 days' holiday.
After 3 months
Holiday purchase scheme
We value a healthy work-life balance so we offer a holiday purchase scheme. This means you can buy up to 5 extra days of annual leave a year.
At Storm we use computers a lot for our work, so you'll be entitled to free eye tests and help with the cost of glasses if you need them.
We'll automatically enrol you in our workplace pension scheme so we can start saving together.
You'll get 12 days a year to explore and develop your own ideas. This is an opportunity to innovate, experiment and collaborate outside of mainstream projects.
Digital changes fast. That's why, wherever possible, we provide financial support for you to undertake relevant qualifications or training programmes.
After 1 year
Cycle to work scheme
We've partnered with the Edinburgh Bicycle Co-op to offer you the cycle to work scheme. To keep you fresh and your bike secure, we have a shower and bike parking at the office.
Performance related reward scheme
Our performance related reward scheme means that, assuming you've performed well, we'll give you an annual share of the profits via a one-off reward payment.
Private health insurance
Your health should always come first. That's why, as well as free fruit and massages, we offer you private health insurance.
At Storm we believe in equal opportunities.
We know that a diverse workforce brings with it diverse ways of thinking, fresh perspectives, and new approaches to solving problems — benefitting our employees and our clients. Storm is proud to be an equal opportunities employer and we welcome applications from everyone.