- Web development
About the role
Storm ID is an award-winning digital transformation consultancy, with clients spanning the public sector, healthcare, and financial services.
In a world that is more reliant than ever on digital, we help our clients transform processes and experiences, re-imagine their business models and even entire companies. The work we do requires our solutions to be developed with a high standard of security by design and by default.
As a Developer you will work alongside other developers and technical leads to specify, implement, test, and deploy software solutions for our varied clients. You will have the opportunity to grow and learn from others as well as make your own mark among your peers.
You will also be exposed to, and participate in the creation of scripts and templates that automate the software delivery process, this may include but not be limited to: infrastructure as code templates using Bicep, build and test automation scripts for both frontend and backend code, and the maintenance of build and release pipelines within Azure DevOps.
You will ideally have experience as a web developer working with production web applications. You are looking for a new challenge working in a dynamic, ever changing digital landscape where collaboration between individuals, teams and clients makes a real difference to end users. Your experience will be as a web developer with demonstrable knowledge of Microsoft .NET Core and/or .NET, but you will have a keen interest and some experience in the practices and processes needed to successfully and continuously deliver cloud native software, this will include:
- source Control systems like Git.
- automation and provisioning within cloud Platforms such as Microsoft Azure.
- build and deployment automation with Azure DevOps.
- you will have a “secure by default” mind-set in all work you do, following guidelines and practices to improve the security of the solutions as well as advising others on those guidelines.
You will also need to be:
- enthusiastic and motivated, with an appetite for learning
- a great communicator and natural collaborator
- a “big picture thinker” that can see and react to factors not directly related to code
- unafraid to ask questions
- adept at solving conceptual problems
- organised and good at prioritising work
- focused, with sharp attention to detail
- passionate about improving outcomes for clients and the end user
What you'll do
You will have a range of responsibilities and will be required to apply your expertise in many different ways. Here are some examples to give you a flavour of what you will do:
- work with the other members of a project team to define features and functionality for our client’s applications.
- deliver maintainable solutions, while taking advantage of common design patterns and practices.
- implement reusable software components and scripts that support both development and operational systems and processes.
- debug and diagnose issues with applications and cloud infrastructure in a secure and compliant way.
- research and share knowledge of tools and technologies that can assist and improve how we build, deploy and maintain software.
- participate in our in-house (second line) support of applications you and others have built.
- provide support to other developers in relation to our DevOps processes and practices; this could be assisting with the creation of a build script or the creation of an Infrastructure as Code template to provision application infrastructure.
- use our continuous build and deployment pipeline to rapidly deliver code during project development and when participating in support.
- assist in the maintenance of our continuous build and deployment environments.
- write, execute and maintain automated tests within our continuous build and deployment pipelines.
- help to produce and maintain reference and tutorial documentation related to our DevOps processes and practices for both technical and non-technical individuals.
From day one
At least 33 days' holiday
You'll get 29 days' annual leave and 4 public holidays. Once you've worked here for 5 years, you'll get an extra day for every year you work up to 10 years. So you could end up with 38 days' holiday.
After 3 months
Holiday purchase scheme
We value a healthy work-life balance so we offer a holiday purchase scheme. This means you can buy up to 5 extra days of annual leave a year.
At Storm we use computers a lot for our work, so you'll be entitled to free eye tests and help with the cost of glasses if you need them.
We'll automatically enrol you in our workplace pension scheme so we can start saving together.
You'll get 12 days a year to explore and develop your own ideas. This is an opportunity to innovate, experiment and collaborate outside of mainstream projects.
Digital changes fast. That's why, wherever possible, we provide financial support for you to undertake relevant qualifications or training programmes.
After 1 year
Cycle to work scheme
We've partnered with the Edinburgh Bicycle Co-op to offer you the cycle to work scheme. To keep you fresh and your bike secure, we have a shower and bike parking at the office.
Performance related reward scheme
Our performance related reward scheme means that, assuming you've performed well, we'll give you an annual share of the profits via a one-off reward payment.
Private health insurance
Your health should always come first. That's why, as well as free fruit and massages, we offer you private health insurance.
At Storm we believe in equal opportunities.
We know that a diverse workforce brings with it diverse ways of thinking, fresh perspectives, and new approaches to solving problems — benefitting our employees and our clients. Storm is proud to be an equal opportunities employer and we welcome applications from everyone.