Azure Data Engineer
- Web development
About the role
Storm ID is an award-winning digital transformation consultancy, with clients spanning the public sector, healthcare, financial services and early-stage start-ups.
In a world that's more reliant than ever on digital, we help our clients transform processes and experiences, re-imagine their business models and even entire companies.
As a Data Engineer at Storm you will work alongside other software & cloud infrastructure engineers to design, build and maintain data pipelines, data management solutions and analytics components for our client’s projects across the healthcare, justice and local government sectors.
We know that many Data Engineer's will come from a variety of backgrounds, and we encourage and value people who bring unique perspectives and knowledge to our team.
Your previous experience will include working daily with disparate data sources, ingesting, transforming and processing data streams into actionable insights for direct use or for onward processing.
You will have a proven track record of delivery and a passion for adherence to best practices in the data engineering discipline. You will be passionate about data in all its forms and see the value in transforming data into insights.
You will also need to be:
- enthusiastic and motivated, with a desire for constant learning
- a great communicator and natural collaborator
- intrigued by the potential of digital health solutions
- willing to offer an opinion or critique in a constructive manner
- be excited by the challenge and opportunity to positively improve the lives of the end users
One more thing – research indicates that marginalised groups of people may not apply for jobs unless they meet 100% of the qualifications. We also know that Data Engineer's come from many backgrounds. We value people who bring unique perspectives and new knowledge to our team. If you believe you're qualified, but don't "check all the boxes", please submit an application.
What you'll do
You will have a range of responsibilities and will be required to apply your expertise in many different ways. Here are some examples to give you a flavour of what you will do:
- assist with the design and implementation of data processing and transformation solutions alongside members of the Consultancy, Cloud Infrastructure, Application Development and Data Science teams.
- bring your knowledge and experience of Azure data processing services to our platform, this will include some of the following: Data factory, Data Share, Databricks, Event hubs and Stream analytics to build data ingestion and processing pipelines that deal with highly confidential data securely and efficiently
- advise and assist with the design of data storage solutions to meet objectives of project and service components.
- implement data solutions using a range of Azure cloud data services such as Azure storage (data lake), Cosmos DB and Azure SQL (inc. Synapse)
- work with members of the Data Science team, supporting and building data processing pipelines that provide customised, anonymised data to machine learning models for both scheduled and real time predictions
- process data from machine learning models to support decision making across health and justice sector programmes
Knowledge of any of the following would be a bonus:
- experience building CI/CD pipelines (DataOps) for data processing solutions and integrating DevOps practices into your daily work
- experience working with source control systems such as Git
- awareness and/or experience of languages such as Python or .NET (C#)
- knowledge and experience building and deploying application solutions to Azure based on PaaS services such as Azure App Service and Azure Functions
Did we mention that we offer flexible working which includes remote or hybrid. We want to make sure our people have the flexibility to be the best they can be. We also offer a fully remote/ virtual recruitment process and onboarding to make sure that we can accommodate as many individuals from across the UK.
From day one
At least 33 days' holiday
You'll get 29 days' annual leave and 4 public holidays. Once you've worked here for 5 years, you'll get an extra day for every year you work up to 10 years. So you could end up with 38 days' holiday.
After 3 months
Holiday purchase scheme
We value a healthy work-life balance so we offer a holiday purchase scheme. This means you can buy up to 5 extra days of annual leave a year.
At Storm we use computers a lot for our work, so you'll be entitled to free eye tests and help with the cost of glasses if you need them.
We'll automatically enrol you in our workplace pension scheme so we can start saving together.
You'll get 12 days a year to explore and develop your own ideas. This is an opportunity to innovate, experiment and collaborate outside of mainstream projects.
Digital changes fast. That's why, wherever possible, we provide financial support for you to undertake relevant qualifications or training programmes.
After 1 year
Performance related reward scheme
Our performance related reward scheme means that, assuming you've performed well, we'll give you an annual share of the profits via a one-off reward payment.
Private health insurance
Your health should always come first. That's why, as well as free fruit and massages, we offer you private health insurance.
At Storm we believe in equal opportunities.
We know that a diverse workforce brings with it diverse ways of thinking, fresh perspectives, and new approaches to solving problems — benefitting our employees and our clients. Storm is proud to be an equal opportunities employer and we welcome applications from everyone.